1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim the tops off the beets. Keep the greens for cooking if they’re in good shape.
2. Scrub the beets to get any dirt off; you don’t need to peel them.
3. Wrap the beets in a large piece of tin foil and close it up to make a cozy little pouch.
4. Put the pouch in the oven, either right on the rack or on a baking sheet.
5. Walk away for about one hour. Smaller beets will cook faster (so check them a little sooner).
6. Unwrap the foil and stab a beet with a fork. If it goes in easily and the beet feels tender, they’re done.
7. Wrap the foil back up and let the beets sit until they’re cool. This helps the skins loosen and you should be able to just peel them off with your fingers or a paring knife once the beets cool.